Painting a wall may come easily to you, but painting a door may be a more daunting task to tackle. If your door is a flat panel door then it isn't going to be too difficult, but a four- or six-panel door can be more difficult to paint. You may end up with paint drip marks or streaks from the paintbrush; either way, it doesn't look good. To paint a door properly, there are a few things you can do to help make your door look like it was painted professionally. Read on for tips and information to use as a guide for your next paint job.
Tools For The Job:
- 2 1/2 inch angled paintbrush
- 3/8" nap roller
- Semi-gloss paint
- Painter's tape
- To start, remove the doorknob to prevent getting paint on it. If this isn't possible, you can use painter's tape to tape off the doorknob instead. Use the painter's tape to tape off the hinges as well so you don't get paint on these areas.
- Once you have your painter's tape in place and you have removed any hardware that you can, you can begin painting. Use the angled paintbrush to paint the panels first. Paint around the inside of the panels and any flat spaces inside the panels as well using the angled paintbrush. Use the paintbrush to paint around any remaining hardware. Keep an eye out for any drips in the corners of the panels and along the hardware.
- Next, use a small roller to roll the paint onto your doors. Don't press too hard so you don't end up with roller marks. Use the paintbrush to smooth the paint and to prevent any marks from the roller.
- Once you have the front of the door painted, use the paintbrush to paint around the edges.
- Repeat these steps on the other side of the door.
- After you have your first coat, you can apply a second coat in the same manner after the first coat is completely dry. Applying the second coat too quickly will leave brush marks.
- Remove the painter's tape once you are finished to prevent the tape from drying with the paint. This can make removing the painter's tape difficult and could damage your paint job.
Painting a door can be a lot of work. When in doubt, hire a professional painter to paint the doors around your home to get the job done properly. Companies like J A Seekins Painting Inc can offer more information.